About Orono Middle School
The mission of Orono Middle School, in collaboration with students, families and the surrounding community, is to provide a safe and caring environment, where ALL students are empowered and challenged to reach their full potential and become lifelong learners and contributing citizens.
Orono Middle School Goals
- Scholarship Goal– Orono Middle School will strengthen the tradition of high academic standards. Students and staff will develop the self-reflection and critical thinking skills to become a community of engaged learners.
- Character Goal– We will understand and model the traits of good character that will be utilized in all settings throughout life.
- Relationships Goal– We will maintain, through enhanced communication, a partnership with the Orono Schools community built on trust, honesty and integrity.
Our Commitment to Middle Level Learners
When Orono Middle School was reestablished in 2000 with a commitment to support and enhance the unique academic, social, and emotional needs of adolescent learners the following middle level structures were also implemented:
- Teaching Teams
- Advisory Program
- Exploratory Program
- Student Support/Counseling Programs
- Gifted and Talented Support
- Building Climate Initiatives
Learning in the Classroom
Orono Middle School focuses on individual students in order to guide them in their academic and social development. Our faculty provides learning opportunities for young adolescents as they transition from middle school to high school.
The course of study available to all students includes a core curriculum and instruction that satisfies diverse needs. Students are challenged to extend themselves as learners. Additionally, fine arts, world languages, music, technology and physical education create a comprehensive learning experience that prepares students for success in high school.
With emphasis on student learning and development, Orono Middle School provides:
- Test scores that consistently exceed state and national averages
- Technology and Engineering (STEM)
- World languages
- Enriched classes
- Fine arts programs
- Vocal and instrumental music programs
- Service learning program
- Character Counts!
- Advisory programs
- Counseling program
- Formative and Summative Assessment Practices
- Integrated Instructional Technology
- Enhanced Literacy Learning Opportunity (ELLO)
- Reading and Math intervention
- WEB orientation and leadership program
- Academic planning (College/Interest)
- Peer mentoring and tutoring
Learning Beyond The Classroom
- Earth Day Activities
- Service Learning
- The Great Race
- Impact Lives
- University of Minnesota Experience
- Physics Field Trip to Mall of America
- Field Trip to the Science Museum of Minnesota
- Olympic Competitions
- Courage Retreat
- Baker Park Day
- Geography Bee
- Student Recognition
- Sports teams– Orono Community Education
- Cultural Experiences