Early Childhood Screening
Early Childhood Screening is a free check of how your child is growing, developing, and learning. This screening is required for all students prior to kindergarten enrollment. Ideally, children participate in screening between the ages of 3 – 5. Don’t wait – earlier is better!
What happens during an ECS appointment?
Screenings are completed by trained professionals who will complete a brief screening of your child’s:
- Vision & hearing (not a substitute for comprehensive exams)
- Height & weight
- Speech and language development
- Gross motor and fine motor skills
- Cognitive development
- Social and emotional development
- Immunization status
How do I schedule an appointment?
Screenings are scheduled on Wednesdays during the school year.
Two ways to make an appointment:
EMAIL us to schedule an appointment: email@example.com or CALL us to schedule an appointment: 952-746-5815.
Where do we go for ECS?
Discovery Center Room 102 (enter main entrance and proceed left to Room 102)
5050 Independence Street
Maple Plain, MN 55359
What do I need to bring?
- Completed Health and Developmental History Questionnaire (sent via email or mail prior to appointment)
- Immunization records (bring a copy if available)
What should I expect?
- Screening will last 45 – 60 minutes.
- You will accompany your child throughout the screening process, so please attempt to arrange childcare for siblings / other children if possible.
- You will be asked to complete required paperwork and a parent questionnaire while your child is being screened.
- The results of the screening will be shared with you at the end of your appointment.
What should I tell my child about the appointment?
- This screening is play-based. You can prepare your child by telling them they will play games with a preschool teacher. Activities include “seeing and hearing games”, building blocks, drawing, jumping, talking and playing.
- Assure your child that you will be in the same room with them throughout the screening.
What if I can no longer make my appointment?
If you need to reschedule your appointment, please contact us via email or phone at least 24 hours in advance so we can offer that screening appointment to another family.
Call 952-749-5815. Please leave a message if we’re unable to answer the phone and we’ll return your call. Thank you – we look forward to meeting you and your child!