Youth in Government
Minnesota YMCA Youth in Government is a youth-led, experiential learning opportunity, which involves over 1,800 Minnesota students each year. Participants research topics and prepare to present at the Model Assembly Session in January, held in Minneapolis and Saint Paul. Students participate as legislators, judges, media personnel, elected officials and more. Participants spend their days in official meetings and sessions and spend their evenings in structured free-time activities, including dances, karaoke, movies, a carnival and other options.
- Parent & Student Informational Session: Thursday, September 20, 2018 – 6-7 p.m. – Middle School Library
- Delegation Meeting: Thursday, October 25, 2018 – 6-7 p.m. – Middle School Library
- Launch Event: Saturday, October 27, 2018 – Fridley High School
- Spartan Hour Meeting & Middle School Meeting during lunch in the Office Conference Room: Wednesday, November 7, 2018
- Spartan Hour Meeting & Middle School Meeting during lunch in the Office Conference Room: Monday, December 17, 2018
- Snack Break Meeting & Lunch Meeting for Middle School Students: Wednesday, January 9, 2019
- Model Assembly: January 10-13, 2019 – Minneapolis & St. Paul
NOTE: Volunteer parent advisors are needed to chaperon Model Assembly. We must have a ratio of 1 advisor to every 10 students, so the parents are a critical part of this program! It would also be great if advisors could attend some delegation meetings, but not required. If you’d like more information, send an email to Genna at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students in grades 9 – 12 wishing to participate in YIG: Model Assembly are REQUIRED to send a one-page email of interest and two non-family references to Genna Torney, Orono’s Delegation Director. 8th grade students wishing to participate should send a short email of interest to Genna Torney. Approval is NOT guaranteed. Once approval has been given, you will receive directions on registering with Community Education and the YMCA.
YMCA REGISTRATION PROCESS: Student registration will be a two-part process. It is important that the processes be done in order and by the right people (i.e., parents shouldn’t be managing the student portion, nor should advisors).
- Parents will go to the YIG website and click on “Register” and then on the “For Parents” button. This will launch Personify protocols, where the parent will provide demographic information about themselves and their student, as well as providing payment information.
- Once complete, Personify will pass student information along to REGY (and will do this about every 2 – 3 minutes, so it will not be instant, but still quick)
- REGY will send an email to the student, telling them to log into REGY and complete the process.
- Students will follow the link and provide program area choices and other information to get ready for Model Assembly. STUDENTS WILL NOT BE REGISTERED IF THEY DON’T DO THEIR PART.
- A student may follow the “For Students” button on the YIG website but will only be able to complete their registration if their parent has done the first step. They will be able to put in info but will not get the “register” button in REGY and will not have a complete program registration.
YMCA Fee (paid upon registration at mnyig.org): $410, which includes regional training and the Model Assembly Program including hotel accommodations and activities.
Community Ed. Fee (paid upon registration via Community Ed FeePay): $90, which includes local coordination, delegation t-shirts and busing for YIG activities.
Genna must be notified by a parent if a student will be dropping the program. Refunds are not guaranteed.
Contact Genna at email@example.com or 952-449-8338 ext. 6350