On October 25, 2021, the Orono School Board replaced the Community Comments period during its Board meetings with a Listening Session preceding each Board meeting. The purpose of this session is to provide community members an opportunity to address the Board in person. This is a common practice among Minnesota school districts and works well to maintain order and set high standards for civility, dignity and respect while welcoming all perspectives. Here are the logistics:
Registering for a Listening Session
- Listening Sessions will precede each Board meeting. The start and end time for the 30-minute session may vary; however, it will typically fall between 6-6:45 p.m.
- The Session can accommodate up to 10 individuals speaking for approximately three minutes each.
- Orono Schools students, parents/guardians, staff, and district residents are asked to register by Google form to be considered for a speaking slot during the Session. The Google form will be open beginning Friday at 9 a.m. before every Board meeting and close by 12 p.m. the day of the Board meeting.
- If more than 10 individuals register to speak at the listening session, the Board will select speakers with priority given to the following individuals: Orono students, Orono parents, district residents, and district staff. Priority will also be given to individuals who have not addressed the board in two previous meetings, and whose topic is on that evening’s School Board Agenda. If more than 10 individuals who meet these criteria request to speak, a random selection process will be used.
The day of the Listening Session
- Speakers will be notified by email by 3 p.m. with their three-minute time slot between 6:00 and 6:45 p.m. (The start and end time for the 30-minute session will fall within this window.) If you do not receive an email with a time slot, then you have not been slated to speak at the Board meeting. You are invited to email a Board member to share comments or concerns. Board members’ contact information is available at www.orono.k12.mn.us/school-board.
- If there are no registrants for the Listening Session by 12 p.m. the day of the Board meeting, there will be no Listening Session that evening.
- The Sessions will be held in the District Office Assembly Room at 685 Old Crystal Bay Rd., Long Lake. Designated speakers should enter through Door E3, the DO main door.
At the Listening Session
- The Board Chair, Superintendent and up to two additional Board members will attend on a rotating basis.
- Speakers will be invited into the DO Assembly Room, one at a time, to share their comments. A waiting area for speakers will be located in the Intermediate School (IS) Gymnasium.
- A presentation timer with green, yellow and red lights will be on the speaker’s desk to show the time remaining and help manage the Session schedule.
- Once speakers have concluded their remarks, they may return to the Assembly Room to attend the Board meeting in person (limited space available due to COVID-19 mitigations), proceed to the IS band room (overflow room) and await a livestream of the Board meeting, or return home and watch the Board meeting online.
- Listening sessions will not be recorded or livestreamed. School Board members will listen to comments and may ask questions, but will typically not respond during the session. All comments will be considered and, if needed, discussed with district administrators.
- Professional decorum is expected at all times during Listening Sessions. If at any time there are any violations of the rules of decorum, the Chair reserves the right to call a recess or end the Listening Session.
- If speakers have more content than can be communicated in three minutes, comments should be shared by email with the School Board.
At the Board Meeting
- Board meetings will start promptly at 7 p.m. in the District Office Assembly Room. Community members are also welcome to attend a Board meeting in person, with limited seating in the Assembly Room. Overflow seating will be available in the IS Band Room through Door E4 near the IS playground. E4 doors will open at 6:45 p.m. Attendees will be expected to follow the rules of order.
- Beginning October 25, 2021, the Board meeting will be livestreamed via an Orono School Board YouTube channel. The link will be posted on the 2021-22 Board Meetings webpage by the day of the meeting. The Board will maintain its customary practice of recording and posting School Board meetings on the district website. There will be no opportunity for public comment during the regular Board meeting.
Individuals always have the option and are invited to email a Board member at any time to share their comments or concerns. Board members’ contact information is available at www.orono.k12.mn.us/school-board.