What is Orono Action?
Orono Action is a nonpartisan committee of the Orono School Board with parent and community leadership that advocates for public education, specifically for the policies and funding that further the best educational outcomes for the students of our communities.
How can I participate?
If you wish to participate, please email us at email@example.com
What does Orono Action do?
Orono Action advocates on behalf of our students by:
Developing a legislative platform endorsed by the School Board that articulates our legislative priorities.
The current platform was endorsed by the School Board on January 24, 2022. You can download the platform (PDF), or review the key items, below.
- Link the basic formula to inflation to provide a stable funding stream to allow long-range planning.
- Continue to increase the special education cross-subsidy aid. For Orono, the special education cross-subsidy is approximately $2 million.
- Increase state aid to allow hiring additional staff to address student mental health needs.
- Allow locally-elected school boards to renew an existing operating referendum.
- Refrain from enacting any new unfunded mandates and either fund or repeal existing unfunded mandates.
Communicating our priorities to the governor and local, state and federal legislators via email, phone and in person.
Collaborating with additional stakeholders such as individuals, community leaders and other legislative action committees to further our priorities.
Orono Action 2021-22 Committee Members
- Amy Alworth, Co-chair
- Emily Bremner Forbes, Co-chair
- Sarah Borchers, Orono School Board Liaison
- Martha Van de Ven, Orono School Board Liaison