What is Orono Action?
Orono Action is a nonpartisan committee of the Orono School Board with parent and community leadership that advocates for public education, specifically for the policies and funding that further the best educational outcomes for the students of our communities.
How can I participate?
If you wish to participate, please email us at email@example.com
What does Orono Action do?
Orono Action advocates on behalf of our students by:
Developing a legislative platform endorsed by the School Board that articulates our legislative priorities.
The current platform was endorsed by the School Board on February 12, 201, and is detailed below or as a PDF document here.
- Increase special education funding to reduce the special education cross subsidy. For Orono, the special education cross subsidy is more than $1.4 million for the fiscal year 2016.
- Diverting taxpayer dollars from transparent, accountable public schools, which accept all students, to private institutions that are held to none of these standards is fiscally irresponsible and harms our future workforce. These diversion proposals include vouchers, tax credits and scholarships.
- Increase the per pupil levy authority under MN Statute 126C.40 from $212 to $225, indexing the $225 to inflation.
Communicating our priorities to the governor and local, state and federal legislators via email, phone and in person.
Collaborating with additional stakeholders such as individuals, community leaders and other legislative action committees to further our priorities.
Orono Action 2017-18 Committee Members
- Amy Alworth, Cochair
- Emily Bremner Forbes, Cochair
- Sarah Borchers, Orono School Board Liaison
- Martha Van de Ven, Orono School Board Liaison
- Amy Barry
- Sandie Berger
- Pamela Henjum
- Hannah Holwell
- Nicole Kaufman
- Michèle Kunz
- Barb Whitney