What is Orono Action?
Orono Action is a nonpartisan committee of the Orono School Board with parent and community leadership that advocates for public education, specifically for the policies and funding that further the best educational outcomes for the students of our communities.
How can I participate?
If you wish to participate, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What does Orono Action do?
Orono Action advocates on behalf of our students by:
Developing a legislative platform endorsed by the School Board that articulates our legislative priorities.
The current platform was endorsed by the School Board on January 14, 2019, and is detailed below or as a PDF document here.
- Increase special education funding to reduce the special education cross subsidy. For Orono, the special education cross subsidy is more than $1.4 million for the fiscal year 2018.
- Diverting taxpayer dollars from transparent, accountable public schools, which accept all students, to pay for education at private institutions that are held to none of these standards is fiscally irresponsible and harms our future workforce. These diversion proposals include vouchers, tax credits and scholarships.
- Index Local Optional Revenue to account for geographic wage differences.
Communicating our priorities to the governor and local, state and federal legislators via email, phone and in person.
Collaborating with additional stakeholders such as individuals, community leaders and other legislative action committees to further our priorities.
Orono Action 2018-19 Committee Members
- Amy Alworth, Cochair
- Emily Bremner Forbes, Cochair
- Sarah Borchers, Orono School Board Liaison
- Martha Van de Ven, Orono School Board Liaison
- Sandie Berger
- Pamela Henjum
- Nicole Kaufman
- Michèle Kunz
- Peter Vickery
- Barb Whitney