Sydney DeCubellis awarded the Athena Award

Post 8 of 46

Orono Senior, Sydney DeCubellis was recently awarded the Athena Award by the Minneapolis Athena Awards Committee.  They recognize outstanding senior female athletes from each of the Minneapolis city, suburban and private schools and to honor each woman for her achievements in one or several sports.  Sydney has 11 varsity letters, 6 years playing softball and 5 for hockey.  She has been captain and was awarded all-state titles for both sports as well. She holds a school record in hockey for the most points by a defenseman in a single season in hockey (45- leading the state in power play goals by a defenseman).  She also holds a school record in softball for the most hits in a season (43- leading the entire state last year for hits). 

“Receiving this award has been incredible. It definitely shows that all my hard work over the years has paid off. However, I can’t take all the credit. There have been so many people in my life who helped me get to the spot I’m at today and this award is my thank you to the many mentors, coaches, and amazing teammates I’ve had throughout my life.”  

MENU