What is Orono Action?
Orono Action is a nonpartisan committee of the Orono School Board with parent and community leadership that advocates for public education, specifically for the policies and funding that further the best educational outcomes for the students of our communities.
What does Orono Action do?
Orono Action advocates on behalf of our students by:
Developing a legislative platform endorsed by the Orono School Board.
The current platform was endorsed by the School Board on February 8, 2016, and is detailed below or as a PDF document here.
- Increase special education funding to reduce the special education cross subsidy.
- Index the basic formula and local optional revenue to inflation.
- Allow locally-elected school boards to renew an existing operating referendum.
- Fully fund all state-mandated assessments, including the required administration of a college entrance exam.
- Enhance school district local control and refrain from enacting new unfunded mandates.
Additional provision: The Orono Action chairs, in consultation with the Orono School Board and superintendent, may advocate for additional positions supported by the Association of Metropolitan School Districts.
Visiting the State Capitol.
Talking about current issues with other parents and advocacy groups.
Writing letters/emails to local and federal legislators and the governor.
Orono Action 2016 Committee Members
- Susi Forsans, Cochair
- Pamela Henjum, Cochair
- Sarah Borchers, Orono School Board Liaison
- Martha Van de Ven, Orono School Board Liaison
- Amy Alworth
- Amy Barry
- Sandie Berger
- Jenni Brekken
- Nicole Kaufman
- Michèle Kunz
- Barb Whitney
How can I participate?
If you wish to participate, please email us at email@example.com